*WARNING: This blog is intended for a mature audience. Its contents may include adult situations, violence and sensitive issues that some people might find disturbing. Please read at your own discretion.

24 June 2013

A Pair of Brown Eyes: Chapter 03



********************

A-Pair-of-Brown-Eyes-Chapter-03-I

Andrew got up from bed with his usual energy. As his work was very demanding he always made a point of being well rested to face each day. He washed, put on his working clothes and went downstairs to eat his breakfast before opening the clinic.

A-Pair-of-Brown-Eyes-Chapter-03-II

He had agreed to meet his sister's friend today, and he wasn't sure it had been a good idea. It was true he could use some help in the clinic, he had been thinking about hiring someone for a while now, but..., a woman? Of course, he didn't know that much about women. Since his mother had died when he was but a little boy, Ethel and a couple of failed relationships was all that he knew about the "gentler sex"; well, that and his female patients, but he imagined that he couldn't pass a very fair judgment on the frailty of women in as strenuous a situation as going to the doctor when you're sick.

A-Pair-of-Brown-Eyes-Chapter-03-III

Well, it wouldn't hurt him to give her an opportunity, he thought as he swallowed the last of his morning coffee. In fact, he had heard so much about her over the years that he did feel a little curious. The knock on the door some moments later awoke him from his reverie and back to the present. It must be her. She was on time, he noticed, at least he would give her that.

A-Pair-of-Brown-Eyes-Chapter-03-IV

So he went to meet Claire for the first time...

Andrew had never suspected that a pair of brown eyes could be as fascinating as hers were. She was beautiful, no doubt, but what most impressed him of her was how the intensity of her gaze contradicted her delicate-looking appearance. She was still very young -he assumed she was 26, just like his sister- and yet the way she looked at him bore much wisdom, as if she had experienced a lot in her life.

A-Pair-of-Brown-Eyes-Chapter-03-V

For a moment he forgot what he was about to say, but then remembered he had not even introduced himself. "I'm Dr. Andrew Stuart. You must be Mrs. Parker, pleased to meet you." Somehow, he was having a hard time keeping his professional tone. He continued talking as he accompanied her to his workspace and helped her to a chair. "I trust my sister's opinion, so I'm willing to give you an opportunity. I must warn you, however, this is no job for amateur nurses." He had intended to give her a more forceful speech, but he was finding her presence very distracting.

A-Pair-of-Brown-Eyes-Chapter-03-VI

"I see, Dr. Stuart," she spoke at last. "But if what you're expecting is to see me going into hysterics at the sight of a broken bone or an infected wound, you're going to be disappointed." Her words were intense, but her shaky voice gave her away: she was having a hard time talking. "I mean..., I've got my share of mayhem in my life, so those things don't impress me any more." Andrew didn't know what to make of what Claire was telling him, but there was more to her than met the eye, he was sure of that.

A-Pair-of-Brown-Eyes-Chapter-03-VII

In any case, he lacked the time to ponder her words at leisure, since a patient entered the clinic at that moment. He decided this was as good a time as ever to test Claire's abilities, so he asked her to stay and help him for a while. He then stood up to greet Ms. Connor, and motioned for Claire to follow him. "What is it this time, Ms. Connor? Another cut? I hope it's not as nasty as your last one."

A-Pair-of-Brown-Eyes-Chapter-03-VIII

********************

Andrew asked his patient to take off her jacket and lay on the bed. Ms. Connor had not a trace of being scared or in pain by her wounds. That was no wonder since, dealing with her farm animals all day, she must be accustomed to all types of scratches. In fact, she would always come to him, not for the wounds themselves -he had already taught her how to make the bleeding stop- but for fear of an infection.

A-Pair-of-Brown-Eyes-Chapter-03-IX

However, when he turned his head to take a look at Mrs. Parker, that was a different matter altogether; she was scared to death by the look on her face. Not that he was surprised by her reaction, but he didn't expect her to faint so soon. He sighed deeply. She had almost fooled him earlier, when she so sternly had claimed she wouldn't do what she was just doing now.

A-Pair-of-Brown-Eyes-Chapter-03-X

But somehow, she managed to recover quickly, and approached Ms. Connor to follow his instructions on how she should go about mending wounds like those. Alright, perhaps she was not so frail, after all; at least, she was making an effort, and he liked that.

A-Pair-of-Brown-Eyes-Chapter-03-XI

In the days that followed their first meeting, Andrew began to discover that his opinions about women may have been a little too harsh and ill-informed. She was everything he could have wanted in an assistant, and a fast learner she was at that, too. Her hand was always steady when dealing with his fragile tools, and she kept that soft voice so much needed, and often neglected, by those in pain. She was also very good at making sick children smile.

There were some things about her, however, that Andrew could not wholly understand. There was some secretiveness about her that intrigued him, and he was too eager to learn all there was to know about her...



Chapter 02Chapter 04




********************

Author's note: OK, so I discovered WAY too late that both Andrew and Claire share exactly the same hair color, so you will be seeing a lot of dark brown hair. I hope you can bear with me on this one, though.

I also wanted to thank all those wonderful creators, who make my life so much easier. And for those pose creators out there who might be reading this, I must shamefully warn you that I sometimes combine poses in... let's say unexpected ways.

And now that I'm at it, I also wanted to apologize for all the grammar and spelling mistakes I might make, and to thank you all for reading and commenting. :-)

41 comments:

  1. If it really bothers you, I am fairly sure that nobody is going to hang you if you should decide to alter either his haircolour or hers to your liking *lol*

    But seriously, I really like that update. As they are working in a clinic now, did you consider downloading some wounds or bruises yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it doesn't bother me that much, I was only joking. :-)

      I already have some bruises (tattoos, actually). The patient has some on her right arm, only I wanted them slight.

      I'm glad you liked the chapter and thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I see, and you are welcome ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, a quote from one of my favorite books.

    There's THE line. 'A Pair of Brown Eyes'. *giggles* :D

    I wonder what Claire was thinking when she went pale at the first patient. Was she really contradicting her earlier statements or was it something else?

    Bah, same hair color not a big deal to me. :)
    Also, I mix and match poses all the time, even the ones I make.

    I look forward to more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a big fan of "Jane Eyre" :-) The funny thing is, I wasn't thinking about it when I came with the title for my story; I was just looking for some "random" quotes the other day, and found this quite by accident. Of course, the moment I read it I knew I HAD to include it here, it just felt so perfect!

      As for Claire's reaction... we'll see her take on this very scene in the next chapter. ;-)

      I'm glad you said so about poses because you will be seeing some of yours in chapters to come ;-) (I love them, by the way).

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Ah, so the doctor finally meets his lady love, I mean his assistant! Lol!

    I enjoyed this very much, but please it was too short. I want moar and moar and moar.

    Okay, on to the update, their first meeting went well, and I'm glad Claire didn't pass out, otherwise the good doctor would be convinced he made a mistake by hiring her.

    Andrew is quite observant, to pick up so much about Claire in such a short space of time. I'm loving the simmering awareness he feels towards Claire, I wonder how it will affect their work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they've finally met. I was dying to update a chapter that was all Andrew's.

      He's an observant man (I just assumed that, being a doctor, he should be), but... we are yet to know whether his guesses were correct ;-)

      I like to think he's already smitten by Claire (after all, I gave him the "hopeless romantic" trait for a reason). Soooo..., we have his scientific percetiveness on the one hand, his romantic spirit on the other... hmmmmm, intriguing combination, isn't it? Without giving too much away, it's definitely going to affect them both in ways they can't imagine yet.

      I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. ~ As Val said this was way too short!LOL! As I know have run out of story to read!
    ~ I love that they both were affected by the meeting,& introduction of each other,there is something there,evident by her shaky voice,& him losing track of what he was to say to her!
    ~ I think she will work out as his assistant,& that she has a job,she can rely on!
    ~ Even he has picked up on her secretiveness!Very perceptive!
    ~ Loved it but want moar!!!!!!! LOL! (",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is definitely something going on between those two, but we don't know yet what Claire thought of the meeting. Yes, her voice was shaky, but why was it?

      And, yes, Andrew is very perceptive, but...

      Thanks for commenting, I loved your guesses :-)

      Delete
  6. Ahhh see, it's good to underestimate people because you'll always end up surprised. At least that's how I look at it. With that said I agree, there is some mystery to her that makes her intriguing. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think I take your point. It was very insightful, and has kept me thinking about it for a while, seriously :-). And you may probably be right, it is a clever way of approaching people.

      Anyway, I just wanted to portray a "general feeling" of the men of that era towards women.

      By the way, perhaps you've noticed that I love your poses ;-). They're great.

      Thanks for your comment and for reading!

      Delete
  7. Andrew was really taken with Claire right away!
    I'm glad she was able to impress him with Mrs. Connor, though she was disturbed at first.
    She still has all her secrets and musteries, too. Like what mayhem in her life was she talking about in the interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you've noticed that part of the conversation; I was wondering if anyone would comment on it. Let's say for the time being that Claire's life hasn't been very happy. Fortunately for her, she's far braver than what she believes herself to be.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. Ooh Andrew has a crush on Claire, heehee, at least he thinks she's pretty. I liked that close up picture you did of their eyes. I'm glad he wasn't too annoyed with her when she fainted at first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he has a crush. Thanks, I thought that picture went well with the title, and that's why I decided to do it thus. Well, Andrew was a little annoyed but also impressed by seeing her overcome her fear -you're right, he has a crush ;-).

      Thanks for reading

      Delete
  9. Instant attraction! Love it! I couldn't tell for sure though if Claire was feeling it too or if she was nervous because of her secret.

    I really liked the pictures! Especially the double shot of their hands and their eyes! I'm glad that she's catching on so quickly. Hopefully things will start to work out better for her now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Claire's feelings are rather elusive at the moment -even to her, I believe.

      Awww, thanks :-), I wanted a picture that... suited the title LOL.


      Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  10. Are Ethyl and Claire friends from school, who didn't socialize outside of school until now? I'm curious how Dr. Stuart has never met Claire before.

    I loved the picture of their eyes, and hands about to clasp in a handshake. I'm glad that Claire has proven to be a useful assistant to him. Of course, I suspect there's more here than a Doctor-Assistant relationship, given his fascination with her. What does she think of him, though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew and Claire have never met because they've lived in different countries up until now ;-), that's why. Ethel and Claire lost touch when Claire suddenly left the boarding school both attended, because...

      Awww, thank you very much, I like doing that sort of thing every now and then, to give some "motion" to my pics, so to speak, and in this case because it went well with my title, of course ;-). Yes, the good doctor is smitten already.

      And, as far as the present of the story goes (Chapter 09), I have yet to disclose how Claire does feel about him. Her feelings will be known soon enough, though. You just asked the right question ;-).

      Thank you for reading and commenting :-D.

      Delete
  11. Mmmmm! I might hope for a nasty cut to go see this handsome doctor! My goodness though. Claire rather surprised me with her initial reaction to someone being hurt. At least she got over it quickly and was able to begin taking on a more nurturing role with the patients. How could any doctor not keep such an assistant around? ;)

    And I loved how at the end Andrew's opinion on the 'gentler sex' begins to soften and change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Count me in! ;-) Yeah, Claire's reaction was rather surprising, but fortunately, she could muster enough courage to get over it in the end.

      Many men in his era would have thought women unreliable, but Andrew at least is wise enough to get past those general prejudices and treat Claire like the trustworthy woman she is.

      Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  12. No apologies needed... I love how you stage/edit your screenshots, and your characters are interesting and good looking to boot (sorry if that sounds shallow!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you like my screenshots and my characters (it didn't sound shallow at all, no worries) :-D.

      Delete
  13. When I saw that their hair matched, I thought, uh oh - a lost brother?? hahaha.... what a twist that would have been.... Claire seemed to do well with the blood and cuts and sickness....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lost brother??? LOL I can tell you they're not siblings! Actually, their hairs only match so terribly when Claire wears this particular braid (both are Sims Medieval conversions, I believe, and have a slightly different texture from other Sims hairs). Claire does TOO well with cuts and stuff, we'll get to that later.

      Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  14. Ah what a handsome doctor Andrew is. Good to see Claire fitting in with his work, and I can't help but wonder what she is thinking of him through all this ;) I suppose I will find out soon enough. :D The benefits of being a late reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a handsome doctor, indeed ;-). And yes, you'll learn Claire's side of things soon enough. It's good to know you won't have to wait for an update, right? Hehe

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  15. Ah that's ok. It is a pretty hair color. I like Claire. I hope that she becomes totally indispensable to him. Fainting on your first patient isn't a good thing lol.

    Glad she is doing better. Great update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, yeah, it's pretty I guess... fortunately! Hehe. Aww, Claire, she is such a likeable character <3. No, it's obviously not the best thing to do, she was fortunate enough to get a grip on herself at the end ;-).

      Thank you for reading and for the compliment :-).

      Delete
  16. Andrew is very handsome.
    Hi Marta I finally came over and read a few chapters. I have very little free time for this kind of entertainment, which I absolutely love. But I will be reading this story every week since it is the kind of story I like. Historical and with a bit of mystery ;)
    I wonder what happened to Claire. She is adorable, I like her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, hi! :-D

      Oh, that's alright, take all the time you need. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

      Claire is simply adorable, and Andrew... what can I say? I love him <3 ;-)

      Thank you for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  17. So wounds and other ghastly sights don't bother Claire? Hmm... I'm starting to suspect a rather darker past. I'm intrigued! Andrew seems lovely, but I feel he's going to have a hard time getting romantic with Claire due to these (as of yet) unrevealed issues. I'm guessing the Father has something to do with it!

    And your sims are so beautiful <3 Especially Andrew :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Claire's past is rather dark, yes, as it will be unfolded little by little. Poor Andrew, he doesn't quite know where he's getting into. And your guesses might be correct ;-).

      Thanks for reading, I'm glad Andrew has so many fans... <3

      Delete
  18. I was expecting Dr. Stuart to be a bit more reticent about Claire, but I guess it was love at first sight for him, and he is already hooked -- though she didn't do anything to arise his feelings, just his curiosity, perhaps, when she keeps being so discreet and acting evasively.

    It seems Claire is really trying to evade something -- and I think men are at the core of her past suffering, or am I wrong?

    So, I fear Andrew shall have a hard time trying to get into Claire's life. Though inadvertently, it seems he woke up that morning to fall in love, while Claire is purposedly trying to survive another day all on her own, alone with her pain.

    She is in need of a job and putting all her effort and dedication into being a good professional, but Dr. Stuart might not be admiring just her skills as a nurse. For sure, she is a very pretty woman, and her presence and ways are captivating.

    Thanks for another chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was love at first sight, most definitely! The mystery surrounding her must have hooked him ;-).

      You're not at all wrong, as you shall se soon enough...

      Andrew doesn't quite know yet what he's getting into, and poor Claire has still a long path ahead of her...

      Thanks to you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  19. FYI, I accidentally posted under my name. Sorry for the confusion, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what you meant by that... *confused*

      Delete
  20. Oh my gosh my comments got all messed up. Sorry, let's start over!
    Hi, this is Noonibean (Trusting Desire is my blog). I'm FINALLY getting a chance to sit down and really read your story and I absolutely love it so far! You're writing is beautiful, and your characters are quite intriguing. I can't wait to see what happens with Andrew and Claire and find out more backstory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for giving this story a try! You put a smile on my face just now! :-)

      Delete
  21. I'm so glad she did well, she needs a job desperately it seems and Andrew appears smitten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he IS smitten, hehe! And Claire seems to have found a good job.

      Thanks for reading :-).

      Delete